Every year it seems like there are more and more lists that showcase travel trends or the hottest destinations for the next year. The start of 2016 is no different. We have compared several of the lists for you and compiled our own list of the top 10 travel spots for 2016. Let’s see where we should be traveling this year!
1) Hawaii. We know, everyone loves Hawaii. But this year also marks the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, so we think that Oahu is going to be the must-visit island. Events are being planned to commemorate this day that changed American history. In fact, our very own Park City High School Marching Band is making plans to travel to Oahu in December; they were selected to honor the service of the USS Utah. Beyond Pearl Harbor, Oahu has it all, beautiful beaches, majestic scenery and views, plus urban shopping, restaurants and nightlife.
2) New Zealand. Something that the travel industry is buzzing about is that airfares to New Zealand are expected to drop in 2016. The only problem with New Zealand as a destination might be deciding where to go and what to do. Our top pick is Matamata, where you can book a tour of the Hobbiton movie set from the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies. Another great choice is Queenstown, which has a ski and snowboard season from June to October along with many more activities for all ages all year long.
3) Japan. Japan made nearly every list we looked at as a top travel destination in 2016. The fact that is becoming more affordable and the upcoming 2020 Olympics in Tokyo were among the reasons given. But we are fascinated by the contrast between the serene mountainous hikes to the thriving nightlife in Tokyo. Add to that delicious Japanese cuisine and we are convinced, Japan would make a great trip in 2016.
4) Any National Park in the USA. 2016 marks the 100th year that the National Park Service has been in existence and special events are being planned to celebrate this milestone. We might be biased, but we think one of the best states to experience a National Park is Utah! We have five of them, and all have special features that are certain to amaze you. Plus, Park City is now home to the largest ski resort in the U.S. making Utah even more appealing. But, we also know there are 55 other National Parks (59 in total), so you probably won’t have to look far to find one that appeals to you.
5) Australia. For most North Americans, Australia has been on their travel bucket list for a long time. Growing concerns about natural areas being over developed is lending some urgency to a visit down under. While there, be sure to visit Sydney with must-see landmarks like the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge on your itinerary. The Gold Coast of Australia is also highly desirable as a tourist destination and has recently welcomed the addition of a Marriott Vacation Club Resort expected to open in 2016.
6) Italy. One of the most highly rated global destinations last year, Italy is back on many lists again this year. With Italy, you can choose the type of vacation you want, including a laid-back beach vacation on the coast, or a culture-soaked tour of art and architecture. And then there’s the food, don’t forget the food! The cuisine alone might be worth a trip to this European gem.
7) Fiji. Curious what it takes to be the second-happiest country in the world? Then visit Fiji and see for yourself why 86% of Fijians say they are happy. Perhaps the fact that they are living in a literal paradise has something to do with it! Fiji is actually a collection of islands (332 to be exact) and makes the list this year because their recent political issues seem to be finally resolved.
8) Mexico. Two different areas in Mexico ranked highly for 2016: Cabo san Lucas and Playa del Carmen and we can see why. Playa del Carmen is one of the top destinations for diving. Cabo san Lucas is shaking off its reputation as a spring-break party spot and targeting travelers who want an upscale experience. Mexico in general is attractive as a destination because it is relatively easy to find deals on airfares and you aren’t dealing with a long, exhausting flight to start your vacation. What’s not to love about that?
9) Canada. Sometimes it’s easy to overlook those closest to us, but Canadians know they live in a vast country perfect for year-round adventure. Quebec City is always a tourist favorite, but every province in Canada has something to offer the discerning traveler. We recommend a trip to Ottawa, the capital of Canada. The European inspired architecture and scenic Rideau Canal (in the winter it becomes the world’s largest skating rink) are just some of the features of this city sure to delight.
10) U.S. Virgin Islands. Looking for white sand beaches? Look no further than the U.S. Virgin Islands of St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix. Each island offers its own unique experience, but all share one thing in common – the beaches. Better yet, temperatures are consistently perfect – around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Could there be a better combination than that?
With hotel rates estimated to rise in 2016 (anywhere from 2.5-4.7%), this might be a good year to consider a timeshare ownership. Many properties give you the flexibility to trade your week for other destinations around the globe. And many points based programs are targeted just for those who want to vacation somewhere different every year.
The licensed agents here at Premier Timeshare Resale can help you determine which type of ownership or what property is a good fit for you. And we’d love to hear from you, so please visit our Facebook page and let us know where you hope to travel in this New Year.